Akita, Japan's mountainous prefecture in Tohoku Region,
offers a true cornucopia of natural beauty and lets you experience rustic life as never before.
Next holiday, how about flying out from the busy life to have a short stay at Akita's local farm house
and enjoy the interactions with the friendly locals?
A sample of 3-day stay and experiences in Semboku City of Akita Prefecture.
Available experiences vary depending on facilities and seasons.
- Arrive at Akita Airport
- Arrive at accommodation
- Little farm work experiences in an idyllic countryside setting
E.g. Nawanae (straw rope making), or garlic harvesting
- Traditional miso-tampo making with host family
- Stay at a farmhouse
Learn how to cut the stem with a sickle and dig out the garlic carefully to avoid damage. Give hands to the local farmers and appreciate the difficulty of harvesting work.
Make miso-tampo, a local delicacy of Akita, with the host family. Mash the rice to sticky condition, wrap it around a cedar stick, apply miso paste and bake. So fun, easy and tasty!
- Explore the mysterious Lake Tazawa, Goza-no-ishi Shrine and Ukiki Shrine
- Lunch - local delicacies
E.g. Yamanoimo (yam) hot pot, or continental cuisine featuring local fresh vegetables
- Visit the Kusanagi Mansion, with unique L-shaped structure
- Enjoy onsen at the famous Nyuto Hot Spring Village
Visit Lake Tazawa, the deepest lake in Japan colored by the legend of Princess Tatsuko, a beautiful girl became the lake's goddess wishing for eternal beauty. The Ukiki Shrine and the Gozanoishi Shrine where Tatsuko is enshrined are popular power spots in Japan.
Enjoy this Tsurunoyu specialty consisting of local yam and mountain vegetables seasoned with special miso while sitting around the hearth. Salt-sprinkled Iwana trout broiled over charcoal to crisp perfection is another delight.
- Be embraced by the beautiful scenes in Dakigaeri Valley
- "Tanbo art" (rice paddy art) appreciation
- Departure from Akita Airport
Dakigaeri Valley, which runs about 10km from the Dakigaeri Shrine to the downstream area of the Jindai Dam fed by the Tamagawa river, is one of the most beautiful valleys in Tohoku with its emerald green stream flowing in the deep valley.
Appreciate the "Tanbo art" (rice paddy art) along the Akita Nairiku Jukan Railway. The "tanbo art" creations on the theme of "Akita dog and the four seasons" are very cute.
Book your flights in advance to enjoy greater discounts. Check out our SAKITOKU Advance Purchase Fares.
|Route||75 days before
|55 days before
|45 days before
|28 days before
|Ultra SAKITOKU||Super SAKITOKU||SAKITOKU Type B||SAKITOKU Type A|
- *Passenger Facility Charge will be added to fares for flights departing from and arriving at Haneda, Narita, Chubu and Kitakyushu Airports. Fare amount may change without notice. For details, please check Notification of ticket handling (for purchased ticket).
- *The fare (lowest and highest) examples listed above are effective for the dates provided regardless the actual seat or fare availability.
- *The number of available seats is limited. The discount fare may not be applicable on some routes, flights and dates.
- *SAKITOKU Fares are not applicable for the following routes: Okinawa - Kita Daito / Minami Daito, Kita Daito - Minami Daito, Miyako - Tarama, Ishigaki - Yonaguni.
Please check the fare regulations for more details about the required reservation and purchase deadlines for different departure dates.
- *Mileage credit is exclusive to JAL Mileage Bank (JMB) members of Japan Region.
Hire a car for easier exploration in the rural areas and maximize your enjoyable time.
Earn 1 JMB mile for every ¥100 spent on the car rental charge.